Saturday, May 3, 2014

Guest Speaker GSA Club Carlsbad

Guest Speaker Reflection GSA Club Carlsbad High

Carlsbad High School has developed a strong Gay and Straight Alliance club on campus and have created a helpful teacher workshop that helps teachers better understand their LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bi-secual, transgender) students. Their workshop provided us with a wealth of useful  information such as:
  • Information about the different identifications used by this community of students.
  • Statistics about this community of students.
  • Laws regarding how we as teachers are required to help this community of students.
  • Personal stories of students presented to us in writing as well as from a few student volunteers at the workshop.

I have been a huge supporter of same sex and transgender rights to fair and equal treatment since I was a teenager. I have been involved in the community for years and yet even I learned a great deal today. For instance I never really knew the facts about LGBT youth. I didn’t know that 40% of gay and lesbian youth are homeless. I didn’t know that 60% of gay and lesbian youth report hearing homophobic remarks from teachers and school staff. I didn’t know that LGBT youth are four times more likely to commit suicide. These are horrific statistics but they tell a haunting true tale. That these kids are not getting the help and support they have every right to be getting.

I really enjoyed speaking with the club members and hearing their personal stories. One girl in particular I instantly connected with and we shared stories with each other. Afterwards she gave me a hug and told me that she was glad that teachers like me were going into high schools now. She nearly made me cry right there it was such a special moment for me. I love being able to connect and get to know students better. I plan to get more involved in the GSA club on campus and I plan to continue to stay involved in GSA activities at whatever school I end up teaching at. Supporting these kids the best I can is very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment